At each of our Renaissance home health agencies in NYC, we often get questions about CDPAP from family members of a senior loved one. We also have many CDPAP patients enrolled in our exceptional programs for seniors. To get a clearer picture about what this program is, we are pleased to showcase the finer details of what Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Programs (CDPAP) has to offer.
Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program
Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP), is a New York Medicaid program that allows eligible patients to receive home care services from a family member or friend. The program is intended to allow those with disabilities or other medical issues to be able to better control their own health care and to address their own individual health needs.
CDPAP lets people hire and direct home care workers of their choosing, so family members and friends may be eligible for compensation for providing home care. The patient or person acting on their behalf has all the responsibility of managing their home care services. Eligible services can include those provided by a home attendant, home health aide, or nurse.
Eligibility for Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program
CDPAP is generally for elderly individuals who are both:
- Chronically ill or physically disabled
- Need help with activities of daily living (ADLs) or skilled nursing services
In order to be eligible for CDPAP, the patient must:
- Be eligible for New York State Medicaid
- Be currently receiving or be approved to receive personal care services by the New York Department of Social Services
- Be medically stable and self-directing
- Be able and willing to make informed choices in relation to managing the home care services they receive (have a legal guardian, designated relative, or other suitable adult, who is able or willing to make informed choices relating to the management of the patient’s home care services)
The patient or the patient’s designate will be responsible for:
- Arranging for back-up coverage
- Arranging and coordinating other services
- Keeping payroll records
with regard to their home care services and caregivers.
How to Get Started with CDPAP
The process begins when a patient’s doctor completes and sends a Physician’s Order for Services. This is sent to the local social services district where a social and nursing assessment is performed. Then, a nurse assessor decides whether the patient can participate. They will also recommend the frequency of services and how long the services should continue.
CDPAP Agencies in New York
Renaissance provides exceptional home health care services and adult day care programs. These include ongoing physical activity and customizable exercise programs, sensory stimulation therapy, field trips, and fitness and wellness classes. Contact us to find out more about the CDPAP eligible activities we offer, or if you have any further questions about CDPAP.
Get to know the team at Renaissance by planning a visit to the senior health agency nearest you. We can’t wait to show you all we have to offer!