Renaissance Adult Day Care is proud to celebrate Black History Month with a reflection on the life of one of our associates Mercedes Narcisse.
Mercedes’ story began in Haiti where she was born and raised by her grandmother. This close relationship with her grandmother made her realize her passion for helping and working for the elderly. She came to the United States as a teenager where she attended Samuel J. Tilden High School. Mercedes furthered her education by graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing while holding many certifications in varied areas of her profession including Emergency Nursing, Wound Care and Oncology.
Mercedes got married and had four beautiful children. She later adopted a fifth child. Though her life took an impromptu turn, causing her to raise her five children as a single mother, this journey has helped her form a sensitive awareness for the need to empower and help others succeed.
Miss Narcisse’s has many achievements and a few are listed below:
Ran for City Council and The 19th Senatorial District in Brooklyn
Currently works as:
- Marketing Consultant for MJC Medical Care & Greater Brooklyn Gastroenterology
- Marketing Consultant for Renaissance Adult Social Day Care
- Re-entry Nurse
Past President of:
- Canarsie by Choice
- Avenue L Merchant Association
- 41st Assembly Democratic Club
- Foundation for Humanitarian Education & Development
Past and current member of organizations such as:
- The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
- Haitian American Business Network (HABNET)
- Association for the Children of Regnier (ACR)
- National Organization for Advancement of Haitians (NOAH)
- Women Caucus for ED Towns
- New York State Nurses Association (NYSNA)
- United Federation of Teachers (UFT)
- Community Clergy Coordinator
Recipient of the following awards:
- New State Black & Puerto Rico Legislators Inc. Corporate Award
- Marcus Garvey Corporate Award
She organizes health and business job fairs and hosts gifting and holiday parties for children in the community. Mercedes miraculously completed these accomplishments all while working three jobs; demonstrating her passion for both her family and the community.
Our Executive Director met Mercedes at a Medical Seminar. The bond they shared later gave Mercedes the opportunity to become part of the Renaissance team. She constantly radiates a positive energy that the entire team enjoys.
Mercedes Narcisse is being featured for her courageous character, her strength to overcome difficult obstacles and for always giving back.